Monday, May 23, 2011

Our Journey



Life has been a roller coaster of ups and downs since my son Ethan was diagnosed with dyslexia last summer at the age of 9. The journey he and I have been on has been a tough one but a blessing. I have learned more about myself and my son in the process of learning what dyslexia is, as well as how to live with it.

One thing I discovered is dyslexia is hereditary. Ethan inherited it from either; from my husband, Mike or me, yep, it was me. Dyslexia doesn't fall into place like other characteristics or traits that are inherited, such as, eye color, hair color etc. It's like this, if one parent has dyslexia 50% of the children will have it. If both parents have it 100% of the children will have dyslexia.

At the start of the third grade last fall, Ethan switched from a Christian school to a public school that was able to give him the support he needed. The support he received was the Soar andWilson reading programs. Ethan has also been meeting with a tutor outside of school where he learns Orton-Gillingham program for Dyslexics. (see attached links for more information)

There were times when Ethan would misbehave and it was often hard for me to determine if he was behaving poorly and not obeying or was he not able to understand what I was asking of him. Often it was a little of both especially if he was tired or hungry. These moments were part of that roller coaster we were on which neither of us enjoyed.

As I researched more about dyslexia I learned that consistency and rules are one of the keys to keep life running smoothly. Dyslexics feel safe and are happier with boundaries, consistency and rules. Which is a parent’s dream, right? Another key in raising a dyslexic child is not to give him or her too many tacks or instructions at one time. Depending on the child’s age and ability will determine how many tasks to give the child at one time. Often, the fewer the better.

Therefore, Ethan and I sat down and created a schedule and made a calendar for him. My job is to be consistent with snacks, meals, homework assistance, bedtime, discipline, consequences etc. It is Ethan’s job to do his tasks, homework, etc and obey his parents the first time they make a request (ideally with a kind heart). It has made a huge difference in his behavior, he knows what to expect and that makes him feel secure and in the end he is much happier.

The school year is almost over and my husband and I met with Ethan's team of teachers. We were elated by his progress; his class work and testing has shown remarkable growth and success. He ranks at class level and in some subjects he is above average. We are still working with him and treading cautiously but are excited and blessed that he is adapting and overcoming his personal challenge.

Earlier I mentioned it was a blessing to be on this road with Ethan, I say this for various reasons. The biggest one being the Lord has been with us every step of the way leading us. With the Lord, anything is possible; we were able to overcome an obstacle that last summer seemed impossible.

Another blessing is that Ethan and I are bonded closer together. We seem to know each other better and how to connect better, especially on the bad, tired and hungry days. Last summer I would have said I wasn’t up for the challenge but the Lord has given me a heart for children that need an extra measure of love, grace, patience and support.

Lastly, through the Lord's graceI have met and connected with other women in similar situations with their children.This sharing of our trials and success with other christian women has been a saving grace. It made me feel like there was hope when I thought there was none, it made me stronger when I was weak, it made me feel like I wasn't alone and it gave me valuable resources that I could try. That is why I wanted to start a blog, to bring people together to share their stories and resources in one place foranyone who is seeking them in hopes of helping each other and our children.



No comments:

Post a Comment